Saturday, February 23, 2008

MAX'S PREMIERE EXHIBITION


Artist Statement.

Since being given my parents’ old Brownie camera as a child, photography has been a love and a passion. This passion was nurtured by my father, a talented amateur, and various teachers. At Vinideus, I have been listening to and speaking French, revisiting my youth: college years studying French literature at UCLA and travels through France, by rail and cycle. When Dominic suggested I prepare a show, my thoughts immediately turned to those youthful days: cafes, museums, the Louvre, the Riviera. I am currently reading the new translation of Proust’s /La recherche du temps perdu/ (In Search of Lost Times), the original title translation of which, /Remembrances of Things Past/, seems to resonate with my state of mind this winter of 2008. In preparing for this show, I have considered the photographs of each of my trips to France. They cover a time span of twenty years and are part of my memories of France; my “Remembrances of Things France.” While at Vinideus, I hope you enjoy the French wines, the French conversation, and the French images. I hope you feel transported for a few moments or hours to European elegance.
Location: Saturday, February 23rd, 2008: from 4:30 to 7pm
Vinideus in Beaumont - 4759c NE Fremont - Portland, OR 97213

No comments: